Pain in the throat when swallowing and cold. Symptoms not reduced even after taking antibiotics

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi I am having this pain in my throat only when I swallow I went to dr 3 days ago and he said it was a infection I been on antibiotic since but it hasent gotten any better I am worried its more I also had a cold three weeks ago but got better now 3 days ago the cold came back any answers as to what could be wrong
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Antibiotics require 48-72 hours to 'kick-in'. Antibiotics only reduce the bacterial load. Thereafter the body's immunity fights the infection. Hence any infection takes time to settle. Do not discontinue them and complete the course. Ask for a throat swab for culture and sensitivity and then request a change in antibiotics with the report in hand.

2. You will require additional supportive medication such as anti-allergics, mucolytics, pain -killers and anti-inflammatory medication, medicated gargles and anti-reflux medication to treat your Post nasal drip since you have frequent colds. I would also rule out Sinusitis with an X-ray.

3. Reflux sore throat may be mistaken as an infection, or the infection may be viral. This makes the antibiotics ineffective and only supportive medication works in these situations.

4. You may share your investigation reports here for more specific treatment options.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Pain in the throat when swallowing and cold. Symptoms not reduced even after taking antibiotics 42 hours later
Well my cold is getting better but I still feel like something is in my throat when I swallow my throat only hurts when I swallow... I scared it could be like a tumor or something? I have no other symptoms as for my reflux it hasent bothered me since I had my hernia surgery about a year ago.. I also have had a endoscope done to my throat and stomach about a year and a half ago... I am just really concerned about this throat feeling I ve had it for over a week and a half. My doctor check my glands and said they wernt swallow so I am not sure what's cause this feeling of pain when I swallow ... Any thought or recommendation ??

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The risk of a tumor is very low when pain is involved.

2. A simple videolaryngoscopy can rule this out definitively.

3. Kindly continue the treatment along with the supportive measures mentioned above as you are feeling better.

4. Since these symptoms are of only a few days duration, I will advise a review after a week or two.

Regards.