Pain in the throat following mouth breathing. Presence of phlegm. What could be the reason?

ENT Specialist
When I take a XXXXXXX breath though my mouth my lower throat hurts. Additionally I feel like there is a bubble or phlegm in my throat constantly.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 6 hours later

The hurting of the lower part of the throat following XXXXXXX mouth breathing could be due to the inflammation in the lower part of the aero-digestive tract.

According to your history, the pain in the throat along with the constant presence of the phlegm in the throat could be due to reflux of the acid contents from the stomach into the throat. When acid regurgitates from the stomach into the throat it causes irritation in the lower part of the throat (or lower aerodigestive tract) due to which there is swelling in this region and excessive production of saliva in order to reduce the inflammation.

So, when an individual takes a XXXXXXX breath during this situation one can experience a sharp pain in the lower part of the throat because of the stretching of the inflamed tissue.

This is a relatively harmless condition, you need to drink plenty of warm water to keep the mucosa of the throat moist; avoid excessive coffee/tea/fizzy drinks/alcohol/smoking if any.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon