Pain in the thigh in a child. Done X-ray, blood test, ortho tests, pelvic AP. What is the right diagnosis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My son is 8 years old on Saturday morning he got up with a severe pain in his left thigh and refused to take a step. We carried him to the near by doctor who advised us to do an X-ray and blood test. Later we were directed to the Ortho to rule out fracture. He asked us to repeate Pelvic AP & lateral. Then after examination since x-ray was not clear they said this could be a case of Probable "Psoas Abcess" Three different specialist saying different things. What could be the issue what is the right diagnosis please advice
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 days later
Sudden onset pain in the thigh which is severe enough and the child is unable to walk with no history of trauma is likely to be infective in origin. The diagnosis of psoas abscess or hip arthritis is the most likely cause. In this age group, tubercular infection is the most common cause.
Your son should be properly investigated under the guidance of an orthopedician to rule out tuberculosis. Since X-rays are not clear, MRI of the pelvis and hip will be helpful in confirmation of the diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Pain in the thigh in a child. Done X-ray, blood test, ortho tests, pelvic AP. What is the right diagnosis? 13 hours later

Thank you so much for your mail. He is currently on antibiotics and as adviced will do an MRI post his dose completion.

Thank you once again for your response really appreciate the same.

Best regards
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
You are most welcome. You can keep me updated after the MRI report comes.
I wish your son an early trouble free recovery.