Pain in the testicle, abdominal area, burning, back pain. What is the remady?

Im 160 pounds, male, about 5' 9" and 20 years old. I noticed about 3 weeks ago pain in my right testicle. it wasn't sharp or anything, just lingering and annoying. about a week later i noticed that it transfers to the other testicle, like one at a time. I do also get a little pain in the hip flexor/lower abdominal area. The pain seemed to go away from the testicles for about two or three days, but then came back, this time in both testicles at the same time. Almost feels like a burning feeling. when i feel them they also feel firmer than normal. no lumps or anything I could feel. Also there has been pain in lower back for about the same time as this has been going on. I want to see a urologist but my docs on vacation until july 9th and I need a referral to see one. If anyone could help explain possible causes/remedies that would be great. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I read your question with diligence.

It is pain for last three weeks not very severe and occurring in both testicles that rules out emergency conditions where you have to see a doctor immediately.

Those conditions are torsion of testis interfering with its blood supply, trauma of testis where there is bruise, some sort of history of injury and collection blood in the testicular sac both necessitating emergency surgical consult.

Other causes of long standing pain are

1. Epididymitis. Most common cause in men above 18 years of age, in sexually active men most common aetiology is sexually transmitted diseases like Gonorrhoea or Chlamydia. In older individuals, prostrate problems can cause the epididymitis.

2. Other less common causes include: Inguinal hernia, Orchitis secondary to viral infection like Mumps, kidney stones, rarely abdominal bleeding and lastly testicular tumours.

As we began with listing two causes which need emergency care, a person with testicular pain should view it as such unless proven otherwise. That is contact your medical practitioner (if you cannot contact immediately), please go to Emergency Room for delay in first two conditions I listed can be a disaster.

With Best Wishes. If you have any follow-up query I will be most happy to answer.

Dr Anil Grover
MBBS, MD (Medicine) DM (Cardiology)