Pain in the stomach after skipping food, blood in stool. Is it ulcer?

About a month ago I skipped lunch at school for 2 weeks. I had a few episodes of pain in my stomach since then. But nothing too severe. I've also had blood in my stool that is bright red. I saw one doctor that said it may be an ulcer and the other said it might be something else. What do you think?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Peptic Ulcer
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

First of all, presence of bright red blood in stool is indicative of bleeding from local problem. It could be from a scratch in the skin known as fissure or something else. Local problem is the commonest cause of red blood in stool.

Ulcer up above, normally cannot be responsible for bright red blood in stool. Ulcer can lead to bleeding, in that case you will have either black or dark brown stool.

Skipping normal food schedule can lead to some form of indigestion at times. That could be reason for pain that you had in past.

The treatment given to you is for acid peptic problem/peptic ulcer and is fine. Please continue it.

The best thing advisable for you would be to visit a surgeon or gastroenterologist and get yourself examined. You need local examination to look for the cause of bleeding. After examination your doctor will advise any other investigation like ultrasound, upper gastro intestinal endoscopy as per need.

I do not see any reason to get alarmed at present.

In general, please try the following:
Take light diet
Avoid junk food
Have regular and healthy diet
Avoid any form of soft drinks

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

In case you do not have follow up query, please accept the answer.