Pain in the stomach after eating. Stool test showing Trophozoites Giardia intestinalis positive and Bacteria flora present. Treatment?

I had a problem of occasional pain in whole stomach after eating something other than routine or after some exertion,I did a stool test for three consecutive days.1st day,the report was normal ,2nd day Trophozoites Giardia Intstinalis was positive and Bacteria Flora -Bacteria Present and 3rd day alsoTrophozoites Giardia Intstinalis was positive,what in your opinion is the problem and what is suggest.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later

In all probability, you are suffering from giardiasis. This is an infection caused by the parasite Giardia lamblia. It most commonly spreads by the feco-oral route i.e. through contaminated food and water.

Treatment usually involves
•     Antibiotics like metronidazole. You are currently receiving metrogyl which is the right treatment for this condition. The treatment is usually given for 5-7 days.
•     Adequate hydration: I would suggest that you take Electral. Dissolve the contents of 1 packet in 1 litre of water and consume within 24 hours.

This is an easily treatable condition and you would get better very soon.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.