Pain in the spinal cord and chest, burping, heavy stomach. Are these due to gastritis?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi Doctor, offlate i seem to have a lot of indigestion problem or some other problem im not able to understand . suddenly ( mostly late night ) pain starts from the middle of my spinal cord and then moves to my chest. is this due to gastrics? i get a lot of burps. drinking water gives relief for few seconds and then the problem continues until i take eno. mornings stomach feels heavy and dont feel like having breakfast.sometimes i have a burning sensation in the stomach
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
I can understand the discomfort caused to you by these symptoms.
The symptoms which you have described fit into the definition of peptic ulcer disease. Amongst the peptic ulcer group it specifically points towards GERD which refers to gastrointestinal reflux disease in view of the nocturnal symptoms which you have. Taking eno salts will not help. In fact, it will cause more bloating and discomfort. The exact cause needs to be ascertained by endoscopy. This will enable specific treatment to be started. Till then, I would suggest the following:
a. Have small, regular meals
b. Avoid tea, coffee, alcohol and tobacco
c. Avoid spicy food
d. You should see a physician for a prescription of proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole.
I hope this answers your query.
With Regards
Follow-up: Pain in the spinal cord and chest, burping, heavy stomach. Are these due to gastritis? 59 minutes later
Thanks for the reply Doc. Can you pls suggest immediate remedies until I get this checked and diagnosied. I keep getting burps , acute back pain, at times its just ningling and suddenly become major. I feel hungry and want to eat, but scared if the symptoms will get worse..right now its tolerable.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 21 minutes later
Thank you for the feedback. I would suggest the following
1. Avoid spicy foods
2.Avoid tea, chocolates and coffee.
3.Natural antacids like a banana in the morning and at night.
4. Of all the salad items cucumber is the best with lunch and dinner.
5.Avoid heavy meals especially at night.
6. Regular exercise at least 30 minutes of walking during the day or 10 minutes of walking after dinner.
7. Medications a) sucralfate 1 tablespoon after each meal i.e after breakfast,lunch, dinner or after any snack.(21 days)
b) proton pump inhibitors like Tablet omeprazole 20mg once daily at bed time for 21 days
8.Avoid effervescent drinks like eno.
9. Sleep upright that is with elevated pillows to keep the head and chest at a upper level.
10. Avoid oily food articles.
I am sure this advice will help you in getting relief from your symptoms.
With regards