Pain in the shoulder after exercise. Is it a pulled muscle?

Question
While lifting weights yesterday i felt a pop in my shoulder. Immediately after there was a tension right above my shoulder blade teading to the back of my neck. Im still feelijg the same pain today. Is it a pulled muscle? I have full movement on my arms but it hurts to turn my head and shoulder
Posted Tue, 29 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Strains to the muscles or ligaments in your shoulder or neck can cause pain in and around the shoulder and neck and upper back. Muscle strains result from putting too much pressure on the region, a common result of heavy weightlifting. 

Rest represents the most critical type of first aid for a heavy-lifting injury. Immediately upon noticing a muscle strain, patients should stop what they are doing and not resume the activity.
 The American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) recommends rest during the initial stage of strong muscle inflammation. This can last about two days. After that, patients should limit stress on the neck and shoulders until local pain disappears, and then gradually resume normal exercise.
You may have to stop lifting weights for 7 to 10 days.
Do local icing on the painful area in initial 2 days.
Take some anti inflammatory medicines like MOTRIN three times a day for 3 to 5 days depending upon the pain.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any other query.
Thanks and best of luck.