Pain in the ribs and knee after a fall. Taking NSAID. Remedy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
One week ago I slipped on the steps out of our apartment and "went flying." I got sore ribs and knee, and it has improved somewhat. My doctor told me to take the usual NSAID for discomfort. The knee feels basically OK, but I feel the ribs, the spasm or intercostal strain when I walk and ESPECIALLY when I try to get comfortable in bed, which is difficult on my left side. I am considering some therapy but wonder how long this will last? At least I did not break anything, and there has been some improvement. But it's sore, and I use a heating pad and stand under the shower. When I take XXXXXXX sudden breaths or burps I feel the soreness. Otherwise sitting is no problem and standing. Just getting up or sitting down has some soreness. And of course pulling myself out of bed.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
It seems that you are having a soft tissue injury of your chest wall. Taking NSAIDS and hot fomentation will help in decreasing your discomfort.
For a better relief, you can use a chest belt for proper immobilization of the injured area and faster healing.
Such soft tissue injuries do take time to heal. In some cases complete recovery might take 4-6 weeks.
Doing physiotherapy will hasten the recovery.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Follow-up: Pain in the ribs and knee after a fall. Taking NSAID. Remedy? 15 minutes later
Thank you. I have been disappointed that taking aspirin, etc. helps but does not remove all the soreness, and of course I do not want to be taking these drugs constantly, whether tylenol, advil or aspirin or aleve, etc.
Would I wear a chest belt to sleep or during the day? Where would I find one? Thank you.
Follow-up: Pain in the ribs and knee after a fall. Taking NSAID. Remedy? 6 minutes later
Should I take a muscle relaxant to help such as methacarbamol?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Giving adequate rest will help in removing most of your pains.

You can get a chest belt of appropriate size at your orthopedician's office or at a surgical supplies store. The chest belt can be removed at night while sleeping.

Taking a muscle relaxant will be helpful. Your physician can prescribe you good muscle relaxants to you.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.