Pain in the rib cage after unprotected sex, HIV and STD tests negative, stomach discomfort, LFT

About 22 weeks ago i had unprotected sex with a street hooker. I was drunk and out with friends and just was not thinking. Lately I have had sharp pain under my right rib cage and under my left breast and itch in both spots sometimes. I read that these are signs for Hepatitis both B and C. I am very afraid and need some guidance. The pains come and go and have been around for about four months. Some days I do not have any and others they come and go during the day. I rarely have them at night. Other systoms have been bloating and discomfort in my stomach. My throut also swells up and I have pain in my face.

I have been tested for HIV at 15 weeks and it was negitive. As well as all other STD's. I did not know Hepatitis was a STD.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Banait 19 hours later

I am happy to know that you have tested and ruled out sexually transmitted infection including HIV.

Pain in right upper quadrant can occur due to
1. Liver involvement secondary to 'Hepatitis viruses B, C and D'.
2. XXXXXXX hughes XXXXXXX syndrome due to 'Chlamydia trachomatis', where liver capsules gets inflamed due to chlamydia
3. Unrelated causes such as Gastric and gall bladder diseases.

A proper evaluation including liver function tests, viral markers for hepatitis viruses, Ultrasound abdomen and upper gastrointestinal endoscopy are entailed.

Though I think third possibility is more likely in view of your symptoms and that other sexually transmitted infections were ruled out, comprehensive investigations can help you reach proper diagnosis and accurate treatment. Hence I encourage you to consult with your doctor and get the tests done.

I request you to avoid high risk behaviors.

Hope this helps.