Pain in the pelvis, constipation, lump near the navel

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
i had a excrutiating pain on the lower left side of my pelvis one night and it went away after a few minutes. A few days later I developed constipation that went away after a few days. Then about two weeks later the constipation came back? And ive noticed a lump right to the left of my navel. Its not a big lump but it seems to be connected to my belly button or under it. My belly button is a lil wider than usual. I don't feel sick and don't have any fever. Just having trouble with constipation.I've always been regular so it worries me. My insurance kicks on January 1st and im not sure what to do. I don't want to go to an ER and have insurance issues if they find something wrong. I know right? Bad timing for this to happen now.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Intermittently occuring pain and constipation with a palpable lump in abdomen could be due to impaction of fecal matter in intestine, or any partial obstruction of bowel or a benign, inflammatory or malignant mass in abdomen pressing on the bowel.
So I would advise you to consult a gastroenterologist or a surgeon to examine you, investigate you with ultrasound abdomen if required and confirm the diagnosis.
I understand your dilemma and problems so as of now you may try to take a laxative like lactulose and antiflatulent digestive syrups like neopeptine or digene according to prescription by your GP to seek temporary relief from constipation.The pain should be releived after passing stools and flatus.
If it persists then you might require a prescription strength analgesic anti spasmodic tablet like dicyclomine or cyclopam for pain relief.
Also, drink plenty of water and have a regular fibre XXXXXXX diet.
Please avoid self medication and to be on safer side do get evaluated by your doctor for confirmed diagnosis.
Hope I have answered your query.