Pain in the neck, shoulder and arm after angioplasty. Is it a cardiac pain?

Question
I had an angioplasty on the 24th of november last year and have been in constant pain in my neck, shoulder area and now my arm. I was in a great deal of pain during the angioplasty in the above areas. I have been in and out of casualty with the pain. They say my heart tests show its not my heart thats causing the pain so what could it be?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Heart Attack

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 32 minutes later

I would be able to understand your problem better if you could provide me with few details like
1. Which part of your neck – jaw, the back of your neck (right, left, centre) is hurting?
2. Which arm is paining? Right or left?
3. Do you feel there is continuity in the pain in the arm through your neck? In other words is the pain radiating to your arms?
4. Have you noticed loss of power in the arm?
5. Is there altered sensation like tingling sensation in your arms?
6. Is there a dull generalised muscle ache as well? (Simvastatin can cause these aches)
7. Does the pain remain throughout the day? Or does it increase after work?

Based on the given information, I would like to point out that it does not suggest a heart related issue; this is unrelated to the heart or the angioplasty.

Among the drugs you are taking, Tab panadol which contains plain paracetamol is a good painkiller but for milder aches. So I would recommend you to speak to your doctor for a better and a more potent painkiller like tramadol or a sustained release diclofenac or aceclofenac which will last longer as it releases slowly in your body. I am sure your doctor would be able to prescribe these drugs to you.

Please get back to me with the answers to the question I have posed so that I can zero in on your issue

Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Pain in the neck, shoulder and arm after angioplasty. Is it a cardiac pain? 24 hours later
The pain starts under my left jaw then goes across my left shoulderblade. Yesterday the pain also went under the top of my arm. When i put linament on my shoulderblade the pain in my arm went. Today i just have a bit of pain under my left jaw where the pulse is. Is it my heart or muscle problem.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 11 hours later

Pain under the jaw radiating to the shoulder blade can be angina.

You have already undergone stress test which was negative so the next step would be to do a perfusion scan which is more specific than the stress test. You could ask for it when you XXXXXXX your cardiologist.

In the meanwhile also XXXXXXX an orthopedician to rule out cervical spondylosis, you will need an x-ray of the cervical area (neck area). This also presents in a similar way.

For the pain the ideal painkiller would be aceclofenac with muscle relaxant combination, ask your physician for a prescription. This will help ease pain.

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

I wish you good health.