Pain in the middle of back with sore throat. Are they related?

I am shaving pain in the middle of my back on the right side. The pain is not there if I am laying down. only when I sit up and when I walk. It also seems to be moving a little towards the middle of my back. I am not short of breathe but I do have a sore throat. Not sure if the two are connected or not. I also have severe RA.
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Bed rest and Pain killers. Sore throat not related

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I have gone through your query and understand your concern.

Pain in the middle of your back may be due to by stressing or overusing the muscles, ligaments, and tendons.
It may also be caused by poor posture while sitting or standing.

It may not be related to your sore throat.
Sore throat may be due to upper respiratory tract infection.

I advice you to take bed rest for couple of days. Please do not take bed rest for more than 3 days.
Take some NSAIDS ( like Diclofenac for pain.
Continue your light activities like walking and daily activities. But, if an activity increases your pain, stop doing that activity.

Physiotherapy like ultrasound, heat stimulation are very helpful in relieving pain and muscle spasm.

Regular exercise and being active on a daily basis will help keep your back strong and healthy.
Activities such as walking, swimming and yoga will be helpful in relieving stress and pain.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for further queries.
Wishing you good health