Pain in the lower abdomen and testicle. No pain and swelling. Is this due to over exertion?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I'm a 135lbs, 5'7, 18 y/o male. For the past 3-4 days I've been having random aches in my right lower abdomen and right testicle, sometimes it'll spread into my left testicle but very rarely. It's like someone has kicked me in the testicle area but it isn't extremely painful. It's like a dull ache. The pain is bearable and isn't majorly painful at all. I've no lumps or bumps in the area nor do I see any swelling. Most of the pain is coming from my lower right abdominal area. No medical history of pain before. I do weightlifting three times a week with heavy compound movements such as the squat, deadlift, overhead press etc. This pain randomly comes and goes daily but I find when I am lifting and after a movement like the squat when I bend over or position myself in a certain way it seems to ache slightly.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 28 minutes later
Hi there.

Do you have fever, burning sensation on passing urine, pain on touching the testis?

Has there been any trauma to the testis, constipation, difficulty in passing urine?

Is there any swelling in the groin which increases on coughing or laughing?

As you are a weightlifter, the possibilities can include hernia formation or a varicocele as differential diagnosis since you are getting occasional aching pain in testis and right lower abdomen.

If you are having infection of testis or urinary tract there will be burning sensation on passing urine, fever.

In the case of hernia, there would be a groin swelling which increases in size on straining, coughing, laughing and may reduce in size on lying down. There will be tugging pain in the right side of abdomen sometimes as well.

It is advisable to consume diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. This helps to prevent constipation which may be a cause of hernia if present. Limit your exercise for some time till you can get a thorough checkup from a leading Surgeon who will be able to diagnose and give required treatment accordingly.

Avoid wearing tight underwear or taking hot bath which can aggravate pain and associated symptoms of a varicocele if present. The varicocele is an enlargement of veins of the testis which causes pressure and pain of testis.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Pain in the lower abdomen and testicle. No pain and swelling. Is this due to over exertion? 38 minutes later
Hi there has been no fever, no burning sensation and no pain on touching the testis.

In terms of trauma to the testis, none I am aware of. Passing urine is fine and constipation is no issue.

I recently have had pain in my lower back due to lifting weights, could this be applicable to the pain in the lower abdomen/testis?

There seems to be an acute point in the lower right abdomen in which if I can feel the pain and then the testis is mostly the right testis.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 56 minutes later

Thanks for the reply.

Since you have pain and tenderness in the right lower part of abdomen which is possibly radiating to the right testis, it is possible that these are early symptoms of a hernia. There is also the possibility that it is a varicocele, which is common in your age group. It can be aggravated by aggressive sexual intercourse, abdominal strain etc.

Regarding low back pain, it may not be directly related to the lower abdominal pain unless you are obese. Obesity can cause low back pain and increased strain on abdominal muscles which can also cause abdominal pain. Right lower abdominal pain can also be due to appendicitis or diverticulitis which needs to be evaluated by a Surgeon immediately.

You need to cut down on heavy weight lifting. Rather do more of aerobics. Yoga has been proved to reduce pain due to hernia. Avoid straining abdominal muscles till you are looked at by your Surgeon.

You may take Paracetamol 10 mg/kg body weight twice a day for pain relief under medical supervision till you consult your Surgeon.