Ask a Urologist   »  

Pain in the lower abdomen and back, swelling in ankles. Have hematuria and high ESR and CRP. Cystocopy shows large stricture with bulbous urethra. Any advice?

Question
HEMATURIA FOR TWO YEARS,ESR AND CRP HIGH,PAIN ON LOWER ABD AREA, PAIN SOME TIME TRAVELS ON THE BACK,SWALLING ANKLES,CYSTOSCOPY SHOWS LARGE STRICTURE BULBOUS URETHERA, U/S AND CT SHOWS NO STONE,TUMOUR,CANCER CELLS.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,

You have hematuria since two years, swelling over ankles, raised CRP (C- Reactive protein) and ESR (Elevated sedimentation rate), pain in lower abdomen. Your ultrasound and CT do not reveal anything, but cystoscopy shows large stricture with bulbous urethra.

Stricture or narrowing of urethra with a bulbous enlargement above the stricture causes increased back pressure on kidneys due to accumulated urine may be reason for persisting hematuria. Kidneys can also be affected and the exact type can be diagnosed only with a kidney biopsy. Additional infection can also cause hematuria.

I would like to review your urine examination reports and also serum proteins which I am sure would have been done. Also any other reports you may have. Also I would like to know what is the treatment you are undergoing and what has been done/planned for the stricture.

Do get back with answers to these queries so that I can advise you better.

Awaiting your reply.

Regards.