Pain in the legs, stomach, joints and back after taking i-pill. Excessive bleeding. Need advice

Dear Doctor,

My girl friend took an ipill on 29th May 2012 (within 24 hrs as precaution). After that she had extreme pain in her body. 10 days later she had her bleeding with blood clots which continued 5 days. Then for a day she was ok. But yesterday she again stated having extreme pain in her back, legs, stomach. She also mentioned exteme pains in her joints that is in her elbows and knees. We are really concerned. Please advice.

Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 21 minutes later
I assume that she took i-pill on 29th April (not may). I-pill is a hormonal pill containing progesterone which often causes bleeding few days after its intake. First menses after this bleeding may be irregular, as it cause hormonal fluctuation and disturb the normal pattern of hormones. It has no long term side effects. Ask your girlfriend to take lots of fluids and have protected intercourse by using condom. Regarding pain, it may be seasonal ( viral infection) or deficiency of calcium and vitamin -D. Give her milk and dairy products. This pain is not due to i-pill as it was taken almost 15 days back. In future, she should avoid i-pill intake and use regular contraceptive methods like condoms/ oral contraceptive pills. If pain is unbearable, get her examined by local doctor, she may prescribe pain killer like mefenamic acid or paracetamol with diclofenac.
Best wishes,