Pain in the left side of chest. What could this be?

I have been waking up recently with a sharp stabbing pain in the left side of my chest, it's always while I've been sleeping and it so bad a can barely breath in but goes away after a minute or two and then is just a dull pain for awhile
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pending diagnosis, take anti-acid and pain-killers

Detailed Answer:

I wish you had provided more details (as many details as possible), to enable me to pinpoint the exact cause and guide you correctly.

Kindly provide the following additional information :- your age, gender; do you suffer from high blood pressure, diabetes or high cholesterol; are you obese or have a lean body; your lifestyle; smoking/alcohol or other vices; indigestion or acidity; common cold recently..etc

However, from the sketchy details provided, the pain can be due to a catch in your chest muscles; inflammation of the bag-like cavity around the lungs; acidity (gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD) or Hiatus Hernia- conditions in which acid flows into the food pipe when lying down (during sleep);chest pain or breathlessness while exerting.

Pending receipt of further details, I will recommend that you take anti-acid drug like omeprazole twice daily; pain-killer such as, a combination of ibuprofen + paracetamol for 3-5 days. You should certainly feel some relief.

You may consult your doctor who will examine you thoroughly, order relevant investigations including an ECG and chest X-ray; and, prescribe specific drugs for the pain as deemed fit.

Am awaiting your response.

Fond regards,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal