Pain in the left shoulder and neck, migraines. Need permanent cure

I have had pain in my left shoulder and neck for as long as I can remember, but the migrains and pain are getting much worse and the migrains are almost daily. There seems to be a soft spot on my left shoulder just near my neck and the pain is insane not to mention the migrain that follows. I have had this one migrain and constant neck pain for three days now, I have seen Gp's who have said I just need to stretch more and they dont want to put me on daily migrain medication just yet. I am 27, 157cm's tall weigh approx 65kg, I am active and generally healthy but this pain is killing me.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later

From the description given to me it looks like you are suffering from bad migraines and probably fibromyalgia. Someone who experiences more than 2 headache's in a month which are disabling, prophylactic medications are advised to prevent migraine becoming more severe in the coming days.

Other possible reason for migraine could be associated cervical spondylosis. But seems little odd for your age. At times rarely severe migraine itself can cause neck pain, pain and numbness in the arms and shoulders.

So I personally feel you need to get in touch with your Neurologist and get yourself started on the prophylactic medications. Various medicines like beta blockers, topiramate and calcium channel blockers like flunarizine are preferred for prophylaxis in migraine. Antidepressants are useful for the treatment of underlying fibromyalgia.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern. The bottom line is that you need to arrange an appointment with your Neurologist for confirming the same and getting yourself on the prophylactic as well as abortive medications for migraine. Neck and shoulder strengthening exercises would be of benefit for your neck pain.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist