Pain in the left knee, hot to touch. What is the reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My left knee started hurting today for no reason it feels hot to the touch with much pain when it's touched
Posted Sun, 8 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 54 minutes later
The hot knee joint with pain without any history of trauma is suggestive of an infection. It could be arthritis or haemarthrosis. Chronic inflammation like osteoarthritis might also cause such symptoms.
You might benefit by consulting your orthopedician who can examine you , and order a Knee MRI to know the exact cause and provide the proper treatment for it.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your knee.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.