Pain in the knees, feet, hands and fingers. Need help in reading the BMD test report

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello docter there is a pain in my right leg on knees and below knees till foot and its fingers, as well as same in right hand, but pain in leg is more and it is sevear in the early morning as well when i wake up and through the the day, it is there from last atleast 1 year and before it was less and now it is more, today i have just got my BMD test done and i have attached my report with this message kindly tell me is everything is ok and what has to be done?
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 1 hour later

There several reasons for pain, either traumatic or spontaneous. Depending on that an investigation follows to confirm the diagnosis.

In your case I suggest you consult an orthopaedician for a detail examination. After that he may advice an x XXXXXXX as a priliminary test. A BMD is usually done only as an adjuvant in a high suspicion of osteoporosis. As far as your report is concerned, you need not worry. You are absolutely in fair range. And to be XXXXXXX it was absolutely unnecessary test.

It seems to be nerve or muscle related rather than bony. That can be confirmed only on physical examination. After having done that a course of medication should be sufficient. Avoid complex investigations at the first go.
Follow-up: Pain in the knees, feet, hands and fingers. Need help in reading the BMD test report 11 minutes later
hello doc
so you mean my reports are normal?
and if it is not bony then why is paining in my knees(ghutna) till feet, because its very painy, ok can u plese send me your email because there are 3 more page of report to send of BMD but its not getting attached and i wanted you to see that aswell, and do you advice me to get it VITIMIN D test? reply me soon
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 19 hours later
Thanks for replying back.

No, your reports are not completely normal. They show BMD in range just below normal, which makes it mildly osteopenic (less bone mass) but not osteoporotic. It's in fairly border range. So let me quote this once more as I did previously, that low bone density is less likely to be the reason of your knee pain.

You also need not get the Vit D test, atleast not yet. Foremost consult your orthopaedician to rule out the more common reasons of pain in knee that's radiating upto your feet.

You may kindly upload the rest of your reports at- YYYY@YYYY

I shall reply after looking at them at earliest.

Follow-up: Pain in the knees, feet, hands and fingers. Need help in reading the BMD test report 2 days later
hello doc
i wanted to ask that what all can be reason of "mildly osteopenic (less bone mass)"
kindly tell me the cause/reason, and what should i do as you are an Ortho. so what do you recomond to me to do
Follow-up: Pain in the knees, feet, hands and fingers. Need help in reading the BMD test report 3 minutes later
and kindly see my new updated file what i have uploaded which i did not last time
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 22 minutes later
Hello once again sir.
There are many reasons for osteopenic bone, including low intake of calcium-phosphate (besides few other minerals), low absorption of these minerals from stomach, failure to metabolise them, and finally high output from bones and your circulation.

As I recommended previously, you must visit your orthopaedician for detailed evaluation.

Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX for your health related queries.