Pain in the knee, hole under the knee cap, no meniscus tear, done X-ray and MRI

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was just told from an ortho surgeon that I had a hole under my right knee cap. I had an xray and mri and he said I have no menicus tears. He wants me to do PT 3x a week. I have trouble doing my job because of this pain. I can't carry much weight and walk with it. Also stairs up/down are painful. I hurt my knee working out and its been 6 months without relief. I felt like the Dr was too brief with me and looked the other way. Is it possiable for mri's to miss a tear or something. I just dont want to be in pain my whole life I am only 28.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 3 hours later
Sorry to hear about the ordeal you have been through.

Well a hole under the knee cap is a condition that does not exist! Strange that someone should say a thing like that. If you told your orthopaedician about your injury while working out 6 months back, I'm sure he would have examined you clinically for either a ligament injury (anterior or posterior cruciate ligament), a collateral ligament injury (medial or lateral) or a meniscus (medial or lateral) injury. Apart from these prime injuries there could be cartilage or bone related pathology too, but less likely.

MRI is the investigation of choice in such cases. If only you could post the soft copies of them so that I can see them myself and reach a definitive diagnosis.

Meanwhile I advice you to avoid climbing stairs, sitting in a position for too long, avoid lifting heavy objects, avoid exercises except ones done with a physiotherapist, use a knee brace or knee cap for added support. Take the anti inflammatory drugs given by your doctor for short period.

You wont suffer for long I assure you. I await the soft copies of MRI. Hope this helps you understand the condition better. I'm available for follow up.
Good day and good luck.
Follow-up: Pain in the knee, hole under the knee cap, no meniscus tear, done X-ray and MRI 26 hours later
I have uploaded my mri images and the xray
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 7 days later

I am sorry, I am unable to see any images or the X-ray that you have uploaded. It does not seem like you have uploaded them either.

Please do upload the images again and also do send a mail at YYYY@YYYY saying that you have uploaded the images.

I am eager to answer your queries and give you my best recommendations.

Awaiting your response.