Pain in the knee. MRI showing supra-patellar bursitis and mild synovial thickening. Pain persisting after the prescribed exercises

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been having lot of pain in my right knee for over a month and it does not seem to subside. I had approach an orthopedics who advised me to have an MRI done. The MRI results show that there is supra-patellar bursitis and mild synovial thickening. Post seeing the report, the doctor suggested only some exercises to relieve the pain. I have been doing the exercises for the past 2 weeks now but the pain is still there. Wanted to seek an alternate opinion / advise on the report please.
Posted Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
The suprapatellar bursitis and mild synovial thickening are mild inflammatory changes in the knee joint.
Such mild inflammation of the knee mostly subsides by taking antiinflammatory agents and mild pain killers like ibuprofen. In some cases for acute problem muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside are needed after consulting with your orthopaedician.
If still there is no relief then oral steroids and oral lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin are given. Injections - intra- articular are the last options to be considered if all the above measures fail.
Right now, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen round the clock.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. calf and hamstring stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the acute pain subsides completely.
6. Generally we recommended, rest, graded exercises, rest and graded exercises to let you know the right amount of time you can spend on exercise without injuring yourself.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.