Pain in the joints, hands, shoulders, freezing, swelling. Can this be rheumatoid arthritis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My mother age is 62 years & she is working in Govt sector.
For the past 5-6 months she is experiencing immense pain in the body wherein the joints & hands ,shoulders starts freezing.Also hand vains get swollen.
This could be Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Request you to please confirm the solution for the same.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 minutes later
From your description, the pain your mother is having can be due to multiple causes at this age the commonest being rheumatoid arthritis. Other causes can be polyarthralgia, gout, inflammatory diseases like SLE, bursitis, fibromyalgia, etc. For proper diagnosis, some of the blood tests are advisable like-
1. Serum calcium levels.
2. Serum Uric acid levels.
3. RA factor
4. ESR and CRP
5. Serum Creatinine
6. X-ray of affected joints.
She needs a thorough clinical examination followed by investigations under the guidance of an orthopedician or a rheumatologist.
Till then for symptomatic relief, she can take over the counter analgesics, do hot fomentation and apply local analgesic gel on the affected areas.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.