Pain in the joints. Suffering from emphysema. Treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My father is 71 years old and has emphasyma. (and is currently under treatment for it) he goes to the dr regularly and was just there last week. Had bloodworm & everything came back fine. He has been in terrible pain the last few days. Everything hurts him, every joint, every limb, neck head arms everything hurts him. No fever. Every 6 weeks or so this starts up, lasts a week or 3 and then vanishes? What could it be?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Generalised pain and aches in the body is mostly due to a muscle or bone related pain. The commonest cause at your father's age is calcium and Vitamin D3 deficiency which causes an age related osteoporosis.
This can also be associated with a generalized viral infection which is not always associated with fever.
For a temporary relief, taking over the counter analgesics and hot fomentation of the affected area will be helpful. Calcium supplements are also recommended to combat osteoporosis.
If the pain is persistent then he needs to get a proper evaluation done to rule out other causes like rheumatoid arthritis, gout, inflammatory diseases like SLE, bursitis, fibromyalgia, etc. For proper diagnosis, some of the blood tests are advisable like-
1. Serum calcium levels.
2. Serum Uric acid levels.
3. RA factor
4. ESR and CRP
5. Serum Creatinine
6. X-ray of affected joints.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.