Ask a Dentist   »  

Pain in the joint of right jaw, hurts to chew or laugh, cannot eat, treatment ?

Question
I am having alot of pain i the joint of my right jaw. It is aching alot. It hurts to chew, clench, laugh, yawn and i cant eat properly. It started yesterday but has become worse today!
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in TMJ

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 28 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query. It will be very helpful for me in understanding your condition better if you could answer some of these questions:

1)     Is the jaw pain accompanied by any pain in tooth or gums?
2)     Do you have any ear pain, headache or sinus infection as well?
3)     Do you have any teeth grinding or bruxism?

From the symptoms that you have described it looks like temporomandibular joint (TMJ) pain. TMJ pain disorders usually occur because of unbalanced activity, spasm, or overuse of the jaw muscles. This causes inflammation of the jaw joint and hence severe pain which may radiate to the ears as well.

Diagnosis is confirmed by x-rays or CT of the joint. You can apply warm compresses to the joint and take anti inflammatory pain killer drugs after consulting your doctor. A physical therapist can also be approached as craniosacral therapy to relax the muscles and fascia of the jaw is very helpful in relieving the pain.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.