Pain in the head behind eyes, lack of concentration, tingling on the face. Taken aspirin and ibuprofen. Symptoms of brain tumor?

Is this symptoms and signs of a brain tumor? I'm so concern. I've been having severe pain on my left side of the brain, behind the eyes, sometimes on the left frontal cerebral to the left occipital. I have a hard time concentrating, thinking, putting my words into sentences. I can't even sleep i have to put pressure on my left side of the brain to feel at ease. I just started to feel tingling pain and aches these couple of days on my left face in addition to my left side in pain. I've taken aspirin, ibuprofen, over the counter drugs but its not effective. Please advise ASAP! Thanks.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 21 hours later

Regarding the hemicranial headache which is tender to touch and occuring most of the times over the left side means probably you are suffering from chronic migraine with or without associated tension type headache. One sided head ache is not a feature of brain tumor.

However if the headache always confined to the left side then we need to exclude other causes like dental problems and chronic sinusitis.

You might need a CAT( Computerized Axial Tomography) scan of the head to rule out these causes. You need to start yourself on medications to treat as well as prevent migraines. Commonly used medicines are flunarizine, topiramate, propranolol and valproate.

This is a very difficult time for you I am sure. The bottom line is that I think you need to talk to your GP and arrange for a CAT scan and start on the medications for migraine.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Follow-up: Pain in the head behind eyes, lack of concentration, tingling on the face. Taken aspirin and ibuprofen. Symptoms of brain tumor? 23 hours later
I've gone to a doctor yesterday because it became too painful. I was diagnosed as he prescribed having sinus infection. I'm taking Sudafed with Advil. He also prescribed me some strong medicine...analgesic, barbiturate, and stimulant combination used to treat major tension headache. I directly asked him if i need a CT SCAN, he said not at this point. I need to be referred to get a scan. These medicines has decrease the pain but i'm still feeling tension on my left face. Is this sinus or tension headache? I don't have mucus, nor my nose are plugged, its clearly breathable. So it maybe a dry sinus but i'm not sure? I was exposed to fungal from my old sink which smelled so bad i had to remove it. That's when I notice my head ache became sever and I became very sensitive to smell. The facial tension from my check, ear, to neck is what gets me. Is there any cure than just taking medication? Is there a prevalence time of when I will recover? or is it chronic?
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 5 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

Based on your description, I personally feel it is more of a tension type headache rather than a sinus infection or fungal infection.

You are already on treatment for the tension type headache. You should be better with this treatment.
If you don't respond to these medicines then you may consider getting CAT scan done. Further proper lifestyle, adequate diet and sleep are essential to prevent recurrence of such headaches.

I do agree with your GP regarding the CAT scan. It may not be needed if your headache improves now with medication.

Hope I have answered your query effectively.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Pain in the head behind eyes, lack of concentration, tingling on the face. Taken aspirin and ibuprofen. Symptoms of brain tumor? 52 minutes later
Can it be a bilpalsy irrupting? I seem to still have aching, tense nerves and it hits the left head to the ear than to the lips all on one side...sometimes i feel a numbness to the left side of my lip. The Sinus pills seem to stop the pressure but not the tense of the nerves. I try to massage as possible to relax the muscle but it's not easing the pain. I'm nervous if it is Bilpalsy.
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 3 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for the follow up.

I personally feel it is not Bell palsy. Bilateral bells is hardly seen now. So do continue on the medicines as it takes some time for the medicines to act on the nerves,may be 10-15 days. Be calm and do not overthink about the problem.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.