Pain in the head and ears, pressure on nose and eyes. Taken antibiotics. Sinusitis?

ENT Specialist
Hi got really bad sinus pressure today . Especially at temples , pressure across nose and eyes . Also a hot shooting pain in head and ears . I am worried incase this is somthing else. Been having vey bad anxiety aswell due to this . I have also finished a course of antibiotics , still causing me trouble ! Any advice ?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 28 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Headache due to sinusitis is because of the blockage of the sinus openings secondary to the inflammation of the nasal mucosa.

Sometimes the sinus pressure remains even after the completion of the antibiotics that is because of usage of inappropriate antibiotics.

Do not worry this problem can be managed easily with proper intervention. I would suggest you to consult a good ENT Specialist and request for a change in antibiotics.

You would require appropriate antibiotics (such as a combination of Amoxycillin & Clavulanic acid or Cefuroxime or 4th generation Fluroquinolones - Gemifloxacin), a mucolytic (such as Bromhexin or Ambroxol) to reduce the viscosity of the secretions, steroid nasal spray (such as Fluticasone or Momentasone) to decongest the nasal mucosa and to open up the sinuses, saline nasal spray to keep the nasal mucosa moist and an anti-inflammatory medicine (such as Diclofenac or Ibuprofen) to reduce the headache.

Apart from this you need to do steam inhalation 2-3 times a day, drink plenty of warm water, avoid coffee/smoking if any. If the problems persist even after taking the following medicines and precautionary measures, you need to get a CT scan of the nose and the paranasal sinuses.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon