Pain in the esophagus and stomach problems after the open heart surgery. Mitral valve repair, aortic valve replacement done. On pacemaker. Is it GERD?

I'm a 64 year old female who had open heart surgery 4 weeks ago...mitral valve repair, flu. That lasted for about 4 days, but I am now having terrible stomach issues. I can't lay stomach is bloated, it makes breathing difficult. I haven't had an appetite since the surgery so I'm eating very little...bowel movements are very limited. Last night I started with pain in my esophagus. I am totally miserable. I'm wondering if I might have GERD, or if this is something that I should speak to my cardiologist about.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 45 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your symptoms are suspicious for a mild degree of Gastritis or Esophagitis which is commonly referred to as GERD (Gastroesphageal Reflux Disease). I think right now it is reasonable for you to start a 14 day trial of drug belonging to category Proton pump Inhibitor like Omeprazole.

I would recommend you to decrease intake of caffeine, coffee, tea and heavy foods such as fatty meats or fried and spicy foods.

I would expect your symptoms to improve with this drug and diet modifications as mentioned above. You can get this drug prescribed by your Physician after examination.

Again I thank you for the opportunity to assist you with your health concern. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.