Pain in the ear, throat and neck. No fever. Taken amoxicillin for sore throat. Advice?

ENT Specialist
I woke up yesterday with a scratchy throat ( I don't have tonsils) I took 1000 mg of amoxicillin yesterday- the sore throat went away but this morning I woke up with severe pain in my ear, jaw and the front of my throat/ neck. The lymph nodes on the side of my throat,, left side only, Hirt when I touch them turn my neck or even swallow. I don't have a fever but I do have a slight headache. My neck is also very sore and the muscles seem very tight.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 52 minutes later

Thanks for the query

The pain in the ear and neck with swollen lymph nodes is due to a condition called acute lymphadenitis.

Acute lymphadenitis is the inflammation of lymph nodes. It is as a result of complication of bacterial infections, although it can also be caused by viruses or other disease agents. As the nerve supplying the neck and ear is the same, any infection or inflammation in the neck can cause referred pain.

The lymphadenitis is categorized depending upon the draining area. For example, if it is in the neck - cervical lymphadenitis, if in the abdomen - mesentric lymphadenitis and so on.

I feel, 1gm of Amoxycillin a day is not sufficient enough to get rid of this infection, you need to take more of this antibiotic along with an anti-inflammatory medicine (such as ibuprofen or diclofenac) to reduce the inflammation. It is better to consult your doctor for a thorough examination and management.

I hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon