Pain in the ear, shoulder and back, watery burning eyes, numbness in the mouth. Causes?

The left side of my neck from my ear down to shoulder into my back has been painful with intermittent shooting pains since sunday evening my ear has intermittent shooting pain. My left eyes has been burning and wattering since then also. My mouth also on monday got a slick like feeling inside my cheeks and teeth no color to it
theres is also numbness in my lips and tongue which started today
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 8 hours later

Thanks for posting your query!

There are several causes of the symptoms that you have been complaining of. These range from cluster headache, neuralgia, multiple sclerosis, drug withdrawal, involvement of the cervical cord, transverse myelitis. The treatment would then depend on the identified cause.

As I believe that more information can help a physician arrive at an accurate diagnosis, I would request you to answer the following questions:

a. Have you experienced similar episodes before?
b. What precipitates and relieves the pain?
c. Have you been taking any medication?
d. Did you sustain any trauma on the affected site?
e. Is there any associated weakness, inability to walk?
f. Do you have any problem urinating or passing stools?

I suggest that you be evaluated by your treating physician who can perform a comprehensive assessment and prescribe appropriate therapy.

Awaiting your response.

I hope I have answered your query.