Pain in the ear, face and throat. Have Acid reflux disease. Taking omeprazole and nortriptyline. Cure?

im male 28 and i get pain and tenderness down the left side of my face, my eye, head ,nostril ,ear , throat and teath hurt. i use to get this more often and had my wisdom tooth taken out about 1 year ago and it dosent seem to happen as much now.recently ive had the symptoms more.i also suffer from acid reflux due to my XXXXXXX not opening and closing correctly which im taking omeprazole for the acid and trying nortriptyline to relax the XXXXXXX i dont know if this has anything to do with my face symtoms . please help all this has bveen going on for about 4 yeras.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Your symptoms indicate that you might be suffering from Trigeminal Neuralgia.

It is a neuropathic disorder of one or both of the trigeminal nerves.

It causes episodes of intense pain in any or all of the following: the ear, eye, lips, nose, scalp, forehead, teeth or jaw on one side and alongside of the face.

Cold wind, high pitched sounds, loud noise such as concerts or crowds, chewing, talking, can aggravate the condition.

You have provided with good information, but to be able to provide you with a better information, I would like to know a few more things about your symptoms. Please answer the following

1. Do you get aggravation of pain by these factors?
2. Do you have any H/O herpes infection on same side?
3. Any other visual or auditory symptoms you have?
4. Any other medication you are on?

Trigeminal neuralgia (TN), also known as tic douloureux, is a pain syndrome recognizable by patient history alone.

The condition is characterized by intermittent one-sided facial pain. The pain of trigeminal neuralgia typically involves one side (>95%) of face (sensory distribution of trigeminal nerve (V), typically radiating to the maxillary (V2) or mandibular (V3) area).

Perhaps a visit to the physician or ENT surgeon will help in a perfect diagnosis and treatment.

An X-ray of skull and MRI of brain is advisable, to rule out any other reasons for this cause like.

1. Chronic sinusitis.
2. Ear infection.
3. Chronic teeth problems like caries or impacted teeth.
4. Any piercing on the face or tongue.

The treatment options are best discussed with your treating doctor.

Till you visit your physician try taking analgesic like Ibuprofen.

Problem XXXXXXX seems unrelated.

Hope this helps.
I will be there for any followup questions.

Wish you good health.