Pain in the ear and throat, green phlem. Treatment?

ENT Specialist
I have a friend who is roughly 32 years old, and is suffering from XXXXXXX phlegm from the nose, and very bad throat and ear pain and is feeling very ill
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

The XXXXXXX phlegm in the nose is due to acute sinusitis and the pain in the throat and the ear is secondary to the same problem.

Acute Sinusitis is a condition of the nose wherein the paranasal sinuses get blocked because of the infections such as flu, nasal allergy or any anatomical deviation in the nose. Due to the blockage of the opening of the paranasal sinuses there is accumulation of the thick and viscid secretions in the sinuses which gets infected, later on leading to headache and fever. As the secretions drain into the mouth from the nose (which is termed as post nasal discharge), it carries the infected secretions into the oral cavity and thus causing irritation and the throat pain. The earache is because of the blockage of the eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear) following cold.

I would suggest him to drink plenty of warm water, do steam inhalation (to relieve the nasal block as well as open up the sinuses and the eustachian tube). Also, take antibiotics such as a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid (green phlegm is suggestive of severe infection), mucolytics (such as ambroxol or bromhexine), saline nasal spray and pain relievers (such as diclofenac or ibuprofen). The medicines should be taken only after consulting your physician or ENT specialist.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon