Pain in the ear after using ear bud. Should I go to a doctor?

My ear hurts quite a bit ever since I used a cotton bud two days ago, why should I do? Should I go see a doctor or will my ear heal on it's own?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 25 minutes later

Probing ear with an ear bud or any other objects has to be avoided as ear has a self cleansing mechanism which cleans itself regularly. I always suggest to avoid cleaning inside the ear and to use them for just cleaning the outer ear.

It is quite possible that you might have sustained an injury while probing your ear with an ear bud now.

You need to consult your ENT specialist at the earliest for a thorough examination. A physical examination is quite important to rule out the exact cause.

Meanwhile avoid water into the ear while taking bath, swimming and not to use any ear drops.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.