Pain in the chest, smoking addiction. Advice?

I have smoked for 5 years about a half a pack a day. I am 21 yrs old, 5'10 and 155 pounds. I recently quit and have been quit for about a week and decided to only socially smoke. I smoked tonight quite a bit actually about a half a pack, and now the middle of my chest hurts? Not more on one side than the other, just right dab in the middle???
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 19 minutes later

This chest pain in the center of the chest can be due to smoking or due to gastro esophageal reflux disease which has been aggravated by smoking.

Smoking increases the heart rate, blood pressure and work load upon the heart. If there is pre-existing coronary artery disease, but with adequate blood flow at rest, the increased work produced by smoking, as well as the increase in concentration of carbon monoxide carried by the blood in place of oxygen, may be enough to produce chest pain.

Please take an appointment from a physician and get your lung function tests and an x-ray chest done.

Till then, try the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.
2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.
3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.
4)     Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.