Pain in the calf and back of knee after long travel. History of Crohn's disease. On Imuran, birth control patch and amitriptyline

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. I am a 34 year old female with a history of Crohn's Disease. My current medications are imuran, birth control patch and amitriptyline. Two days ago I developed pain in my right calf and back of my right knee, and it hurts to walk on it. On Friday I took a 7 hour flight to Europe, and I flew back 7 hours yesterday. I don't remember doing anything recently to strain or twist the muscles in that leg.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Chron's Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later
Pain in the calf and knee without any history of trauma or a visible swelling is likely to be due to dehydration, muscle fatigue or electrolyte abnormalities after a long journey. It is better to drink sufficient fluid and also see that your intake of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium ) is sufficient. You can drink Oralyte for this.
In case the symptoms do not improve then the other causes that need to be explored are-
1. Calf muscle strain and tear - Usually due to overwork and overstretching of the muscles. Recent increase in standing or leg exercises may cause these. Gradual increase in exercise and pain killers with mild hormonal therapy like oral pills might cause this.

3. Muscle pain: Muscle pain or myalgia is a common cause and may be due to overuse (mild trauma) or associated with the generalized aches and pain or an infection.

4. Reactive arthritis- due to overuse of knee joint.
proper treatment.
You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under the care of an Orthopaedician.
Meanwhile provide adequate rest to your knee joint and leg. Avoid weight bearing and do a hot fomentation for temporary relief.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.