Pain in the calf. Soft movable lump behind the knee. What could this be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi I wanted your advice, I have pain an ache in my calf and a soft moveable lump behind my knee above towards thigh. It seem attach to the bony bit. You can move it about behind tendon. Do you know what it could be. Age 35 female
Posted Sun, 3 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
A soft movable lump behind the knee is likely to be a muscular or tendon swelling .

Tensing of the muscles usually makes such swellings immobile. Relaxing the leg or bending the knee makes it less prominent.

Inflammation of bursae can also cause such swellings but they are persistent ,soft and generally don`t become tense and immobile with leg movement .

Proper clinical examination & MRI can pinpoint the exact diagnosis & treatment can be planned accordingly.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.