Pain in the back, shoulder and neck. Not responding to physiotherapy. Will yoga be helpful?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

My wife is having back pain in the region around her right shoulder and neck. at times it extends to upper right arms. The pain is noticeable from night till morning. It's persistent for more than a weak now.

She drives four wheeler 200 Km per weak. Is there anything serious about it.

We met a physiotherapist at apollo munich, we are not sure about the problem but he has asked to come for treatment for 5 days. We have been for 1day treatment and there wasn't much relief.. I feel that treatment might not be solving the route cause.

Can this be solved with some daily yoga or some exercise ?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 50 minutes later
Pain in the region of shoulder and neck radiating to the arm could be due o-
1. Rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder impingement syndrome
2. Frozen shoulder.
3. Cervical spondylosis.
You need to get an MRI scan of shoulder joint and cervical spine done which is a sensitive test for soft tissue and muscular injuries. An Orthopedician is the best person to be consulted.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:
1) Provide complete rest and avoid driving as much as possible.
2) Apply cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.
3) Avoid using a pillow.
She may need muscle relaxants for pain relief in combination with a good analgesic.
If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, she may need steroid injections.
Daily yoga and exercise will be helpful but only after the acute pain subsides completely. The physiotherapy will help in decreasing the further disease progression.
I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.