Pain in the back of head that pulsates. MRI revealed tiny hyperintence foci in bilateral fronto-parietal region. Meaning?

hello sir my name is XXXXXXX .from last 7or 8 days i am feeling pain in the back side of my head in pulse is not regular it comes for 2or 3 hours and then go.for that i have visited a nurologist and done mri scanning.
MRI reports says that few tiny hyperintence foci in bilateral fronto-parietal region,likely to represent either non-specific bright focus or chronic lacunar infarcts.the non -hypointense lesion in the right frontal parafalcine region is likely to represent partially calcified old granuloma.
pls suggest what does it mean and what type of problem i will face due to this,also suggest the remedial procedure for it.
thanks a lot.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 21 hours later

Thanks for the query

From the clinical details provided it looks to me like you are suffering from vascular headache. Vascular headaches, a group that includes migraines, are thought to involve abnormal function of the brain's blood vessels or vascular system.

The typical migraine headache is a type of vascular headache that is unilateral, pulsatile, and can be aggravated by physical activity. The pain is moderate to severe and can be aggravated by exposure to light or noise.

Regarding the changes seen on the MRI, small tiny hyperintense signals seen in the fronto-parietal regions are nonspecific and does not require any evaluation at this point of time. Tuberculoma or cysticercal infection in the childhood is the reason for calcified granuloma in the brain.

So I personally feel you are suffering from vascular headache, probably an early stage of migraine or a tension type headache. MRI findings represent non-specific white matter changes and old calcified granuloma, further evaluation is not recommended in you at this point of time. You need to check your blood pressure to exclude headaches caused by a rise in blood pressure.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern. For time being try simple pain killers like aspirin, paracetamol or a combination of relieve your headache's. If your headache's more frequent and increases in severity you need to see your Neurologist for a good clinical examination and consultation.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.