Pain in the arm and neck. Causes and treatment?

General Surgeon
hi i have been having sharp pains in my right arm above my elbow and it shoots up to my neck , do you know what causes that and what i need to do to stop it ? it sometimes gets worse at night when i lay down.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 1 hour later
From your description, the pain could be due to nerve root pressure. The most common cause may be a problem in the cervical spine. A cervical rib may also have to be excluded.

I would suggest that you visit an orthopaedician who can evaluate you completely and perform appropriate investigations.

Hope you get well soon