Pain in the arm. Taking allergy shots and doing weight training. Is the pain due to these?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
The back of my arm is sore, close to my tricep muscle. I weight train three times per week. I also get allergy shots each week. When I touch the skin on the back of my arm in this area it is painful. Could this be nerve pain from the shot or is it possibly tendon pain from over use? I have had the pain for about a week. I mentioned this to the nurse this week and she thinks the shot hit a nerve. Could it be the tendon instead? Thank you!

Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Since the skin overlying the triceps is also painful to touch most likely it is due to a minor nerve injury while giving the intramuscular injection. in case of a muscle spasm or a tendon injury, the overlying skin is not likely to be painful.
Right now you need to avoid overhead activities with the affected arm.
The nerve injury usually heals on its own in 7-10 days without any treatment.
Do not worry. You will be fine soon.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.