Pain in the anus due to hemorrhoids. No bleeding. Treatment?

yes had hemmeriods for years never pain but bleeding, now for two week anus hurts very bad few hours after movement and last long long time very little bleeding pain hard to take like a knife in your butt.Should I go to doctor fast, have proctofoam ,does not help.Scared in good shape 511 165 pounds 52 yrs.
Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Pain is commonly associated with hemorrhoids specially if there is constipation. If there is only a minor bleeding associated, then pain can be controlled by mild pain killers like ibuprofen and hot fomentation.
Let me give you a few suggestions as far as what to do now. First, twice daily I'd like you to sit in a warm batch in the bathtub for 20 minutes. The warm water will soothe the area and help shrink the swollen tissue.

Next, you can go to any local pharmacy and pick up a tube of preparation H cooling gel. This is a clear gel which you can apply to the swollen areas after each bowel movement and also at bedtime. Over time this helps also to shrink the hemorroidal tissue.
In addition I usually recommend that patients with persistent symptoms use a suppository once or twice per month. This generally provides good results for these patients.
However for specific treatment, you have to consult a surgeon. Some of the preferred methods are injection sclerotherapy, rubber band ligation and by surgical method like hemorrhoidectomy. Nowadays laser coagulation and infrared photocoagulation are also used. These methods are used only if there is a persistent discomfort after taking all the abovesaid measures.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.