Pain in the abdomen while coughing. No pain on pressing. Had taken augmentin. Is it a muscular or gastric pain?

3 days after I finish augmentin I also eat a very spicy food that same day I finish the augmentin. Now I'm having pain in the upper left quadrant right where my stomach is. The pain happens when i have a big laugh or just moving a certain way it occur different way every time or when I'm coughing it happens. The pain is a short sharp pain. I lay on my back on the carpet and press on all the ULQ area and cannot find a specific spot in fact no pain at all upon pressing. If I exhale all the air out I can also feel it. This occur for three days now. My stool is of normal color(not black). Also last night my stomach seems to growl alot and i'm not hungry mabey its gas maybe not. No gas no sound nothing today just pain which happens when moving. Is it stomach related or is it it muscle related? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The pain in the upper left quadrant of abdomen which is felt only on moving and is not related to food intake is likely to be a muscular pain.
Usually a sudden jerk or muscle activity causes such sprain. Such muscular pain can also happen after taking augmentin. Usually such pain is self limiting and is not worrisome. It is likely to subside in next 3-4 days. Meanwhile doing a hot fomentation in the affected area will be helpful.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Pain in the abdomen while coughing. No pain on pressing. Had taken augmentin. Is it a muscular or gastric pain? 58 minutes later
Why would augmentin cause such pain. And how about the noise in my stomach that i experience before this incident. how come if its muscle pain I don't feel it anywhere when I press on it?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Augmentin causes muscle soreness as a side effect. The noise in your stomach might be due to the distension caused by abdominal gases which cause pressure on the muscles causing pain.
Tenderness is not always associated with muscle soreness.
Definitely I would reassure you saying that there is no major health concern with you. Do not worry. You should be fine soon.
Hope my answer is helpful.