Pain in teardrop muscle, fluctuating pain, light leg extension. Suggest.

For roughly 3-4 months now I've had a sharp pain in/around the "teardrop" muscle on my right leg. I saw a doctor about this around a month ago and they said there wasn't any structural damage (no MRI or Xray taken) but to take it easy and perform light leg extensions to help strengthen the knee. Well I've followed that advice as best I can and the pain still exists. So in short, the pain is very intense when walking up and down stairs (I live on 3rd floor) or anytime I have to squat down for anything; regular walking or straightening (flexed and not) presents no pain. Whats your thoughts?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. Teardrop muscle is the name given to vastus medialis of the quadriceps muscle. From the symptoms it looks like a strain of the muscle or a partial tear of the muscle which usually occur following an activity such as sprinting, jumping or climbing stairs.

Muscle strains are graded 1, 2 or 3 depending on the severity of the damage. From your symptoms it looks like a level 2 strain. The other possibility is the start of runner’s knee of patellofemoral syndrome.

My sincere suggestion is to get a MRI scan of the area done which is the best test for detecting a cold compresses on the area and keep on taking the feet. Orthotics, shoes with proper cushions and foot insoles help a lot in this misalignement. Hence you can use them as well. Avoid squatting/kneeling as a bent knee causes extra pressure between the patella and femur. Also avoid climbing stairs for a few days and leg presses where you support your weight with a bent knee.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.