Pain in tailbone after getting up from chair. Any advice?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
When standing up from a chair I experience pain in my tail-bone area which lasts for about 10 seconds and then disappears. Sometimes it can be quite severe. This has been the case for the last 1 - 2 months. Any advice?
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 29 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based upon the description of the symptoms, I feel it could be COCCYDYNIA.

Generally this condition occurs secondary to injury (which could have gone unnoticed) but may occur spontaneously.

There are a few other causes of tail bone pain which can mimic coccydynia -
* Sciatica
* Infection
* Pilonidal cysts
* fracture of coccygeal bone

A detailed examination and appropriate investigations are needed to pin point the diagnosis.

The general treatment guidelines for this condition are as follows-

* Sit completely upright with proper posture — keeping your back firmly against the chair, knees level with your hips, feet flat on the floor and shoulders relaxed

* Lean forward while sitting down

* Sit on a doughnut-shaped pillow or wedge (V-shaped) cushion

* Apply heat or ice to the affected area

* Take over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil)

If the pain is not resolving with the above measures, then a local steroid injection will offer dramatic pain relief in certain cases.

Hope I have addressed your issues. Happy to help for any more clarifications.

Follow-up: Pain in tailbone after getting up from chair. Any advice? 4 minutes later
Thank you for your initial diagnosis. I did not have any injury recently but I suppose that probably it developed over time due to long hours in incorrect seating positions (at work I spend most of the day in front of a computer). I will try your suggestions.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 5 minutes later
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

Please follow the mentioned guidelines and I hope you will definitely find improvement in your symptoms.

Good luck