Pain in side waist and posterior thigh, bruised thigh. Should X-ray be done, how to get immediate relief?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, My mother (Age 50) slipped from kitchen's slab.Now she is suffering from lot of pain in her side waist and back area of thigh. Also she has bruise in her thigh. Would u suggest her to go for X-ray to confirm any fracture and pls also suggest some pain killer for immediate pain relief.

Thank you
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
After a fall or injury, to rule out the possibility of a fracture, clinical examination and an X-ray is necessary. Both the hip joint as well as spine needs to be examined for any possible injury.
The pain in case of fracture will subside only after proper management of the fractured fragments. Avoid weight bearing on the leg till the proper diagnosis is made.
Meanwhile for pain relief, a pain killer like ibuprofen will be helpful. You can give it in a dosage of 600mg orally in case she is not allergic to it.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.