Pain in shoulders, elbows, arm numbness, disc fused, upper back pain. Treatment ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have pain in both my shoulers and elbows. Worse at night if I sleep on my shoulder, pain wakes me up. arms go to sleep, have to use other hand to find my asleep arm. disc fused in neck 2007, help to releave a lot of upper back pain. elbows hurt when working sometime have a hard time picking up tools heavier the harder. this has been going on for a year or so. I cannot keep living with the pain need direction
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 11 hours later

You seem to have cervical spondylosis that causes pressure on your nerves.

I'm not sure what you mean by disc fusion done in 2007?

Have you undergone spinal fusion surgery to relieve pain? If yes, then it could lead to this local complication of nerve irritation.

One more possibility is that during sleep your blood vessels are getting obstructed giving rise to a dead arm feeling. For that you need to evaluate for a possible cervical rib.

Do provide us with soft copies of any Xrays or MRI previously done. Kindly answer the following questions-
1. Age, sex
2. Does your neck hurt all the time or any specific time of the day?
3. Do you have tingling numbness other than sleep time?
4. Are you able to move your neck in all directions without pain?

Dr. Atul Wankhede
Follow-up: Pain in shoulders, elbows, arm numbness, disc fused, upper back pain. Treatment ? 24 hours later
1) 45 / male
2) neck doesn't hurt / my mid to upper back is always in pain
3) after spinal fusion in my neck between #5 and #6 I have numbness in my left tricep and left index finger
4) I am able to move my neck without pain
5) I do not have soft copies on my X-rays and MRI's

Thanks for answering my questions,

From what I gather you seem to have a pressure over a cervical nerve root that causes tingling over few parts of your left hand. To confirm this I need to look at the xray or MRI. If not kindly provide us with the reports. Also explain the part of fusion of #5, #6 please.

Do attach your reports here or forward them to YYYY@YYYY with sub: attn Dr Atul .

Thank you.