Pain in shoulder blade, arms chest following a golf swing. What can I do about it?

As a result of my golf swing, I have pain (it hurts to breath) below the left shoulder blade on my back and it goes under my left arm around to my chest, just under my left breast. It hurts to take a deep breath and really hurts to cough or sneeze! I know I probably pulled something by swinging my golf club, not being warmed up, but what can I do about it? I am 65 years old and in good shape, about 10-15 lbs overweight but I exercise every day at the gym. Thanks. Email, YYYY@YYYY
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 56 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Pain that occurs on taking a breath, coughing or sneezing can be possibly related to two conditions (1)there is inflammation of the lining of the lungs (the pleura) , this is called pleuritis. There are different causes.The most common cause is infection but strain of the muscles the chest or chest trauma can also be a cause.Treatment would depend on the cause of pleurits. In your case where it is due to chest muscle injury,the use of NSAIDS would be appropriate provided that you do not have any contraindications to their use.
NSAIDS would include medication such as aspirin, ibuprofen, indomethacin. These medications should be taken on a full stomach.

(2)Costochondritis- this is inflammation in the chest where the ribs attach to the sternum. It can cause pain which may be mild or severe in some persons. It is also treated with the use of NSAIDS.

There are stronger NSAIDS if the above do not help,for example celebrex is indicated for severe pain.

While you are using the medication, it would be best to relax for 1 week to 10 days and avoid any activity that may further aggravate your injuries.Stretching may help but any strenuous activity would prolong the course of the pain.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Pain in shoulder blade, arms chest following a golf swing. What can I do about it? 1 hour later
I love to play golf. How do I prevent the muscle from doing that again?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 15 minutes later

After this resolves, you would need to do some stretching and warming up exercises before and after each game.