Pain in shoulder and shoulder joints after starting power yoga. Should I continue with power yoga?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon

I have started doing power yoga ,
I am experiencing severe body pain in shoulder and shoulder joints
I can feel pain when i raise my hands and bring them down
Should i still continue with power yoga or take a break then continue, The exercise performed are normal.
Just think my muscle is not able to handle them is this normal ?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Exercise
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 27 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
You shouldnt stop. At the beginning of any exercise muscles are inflammed and painful. This will pass in 5-7 days,and after you wont have such problems anymore.YOu will feel better as time pass.
It is important that you do yoga properly. If you dont do it, you could pull your muscle or have joint distorsion. All in all yoga will help you feel better and healthier.
When you feel shoulder pain you should put your arm on chest with 90 degree in elbow and hold it for few minutes, if you notice swelling or inability to move you should stop with yoga for 5 days. If you have pain while resting you can take some of nonsteroid pain killers.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Follow-up: Pain in shoulder and shoulder joints after starting power yoga. Should I continue with power yoga? 3 minutes later
Thanks XXXXXXX for the response,
I dont have any swelling, just have pain when i lift my hand for drinking tea/coffee or for having meal

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 11 minutes later
Yes, this is simple muscle inflammation due to exercise. Usually shoulder and abdominal muscles hurt because it is involved during power yoga the most. It is natural process of muscle growing and strenghtening and mean that you did yoga as it should be done. Just continue with it and you ll see improvement. YOu dont have to every yoga exercise do all of the muscles. You can skip movements that are painful and do it every 3. or 4. day. I am glad i was helpful