Pain in shoulder and arm muscle. Feeling difficulty to lift arm. What cure should be done?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am a man of 52 years old.A while ago (3 months) my shoulders started to pain.Later on my upper arm muscles started to pain as well and now my lower arm muscles arre also in pain.I can not sleep at night and also during the day I am in pain.Pain killers do not help any more.I can not reach out to pick up someting then my upper arm muscles will be in great pain.I struggle to put on a sweater or T-Shirt when lifting up my arms I will be in pain.I shower with great difficlty and is in pain to dry myself after the shower.
Do I have inflamation of the muscles?What can be done to cure this?
I hope to hear from you very soon please!!!

Yours Sincerely
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and Thanks for posting your query.

From description it seems you might developed frozen shoulder( Adhesive capsulitis).
Frozen shoulder is when the shoulder is painful and loses motion because of inflammation. When the capsule becomes inflamed, the shoulder bones are unable to move freely in the joint.

Following treatment modality is helpful-
1)Starts with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
2)Application of heat to the affected area.
3)Gentle stretching.
4)Ice and medicines (including corticosteroid injections) may also be used to reduce pain and swelling.
5)Physical therapy can help increase your range of motion.
-Lie on your back with your legs straight. Use your unaffected arm to lift your affected arm overhead until you feel a gentle stretch. Hold for 15 seconds and slowly lower to start position. Relax and repeat.
-Gently pull one arm across your chest just below your chin as far as possible without causing pain. Hold for 30 seconds. Relax and repeat.

A frozen shoulder can take many months to get better. But if treatment is not helping, surgery is sometimes done to cut some of the tight tissues around the shoulder. This surgery is often done with an arthroscope.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Pain in shoulder and arm muscle. Feeling difficulty to lift arm. What cure should be done? 3 hours later
Both arms are affected and it is not only my shoulders I enquired about but also the muscles in BOTH my upper and lower arms.
Can you name me a drug (medecine/tablets) I can use for relief of the pain/swelling/healing of both the shoulders and muscles?
If they do not have it in Saudi Arabia I want me wife to courier it to Saudi from South Africa.

Thanks for posting your query again

I can understand your pain.To get relief from the pain and for quick healing you can take over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food. It can help to reduce pain and inflammation associated with this condition.

Good luck -- I hope things go well.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.