Pain in scrotum, swelling, pain. Cancer or epididymitis ?

Dear doctor,
I need your opinion.

About a month ago I got suddenly pain in my right scrotum. I ignored it and went to work. The pain continued about 3 days and then decreased and left.

After 2 weeks I suddenly saw my right scrotum swollen, I shined a touch on it and it did light up.

So I went to the doctor because I also was feeling discomfort and little pain which started after I was investigating my testicles and epididymis.

The doctor said possible epididymitis and gave antibiotics. After using them 4 days I saw the swelling getting smaller and the fluid getting less. I still had some pain In my right groin area and leg.

I went to another doctor who researched my testicles and said also that it is epididymitis.

After 2 weeks am going to the urologist ( the other 2 where I went were gp)

But before I go I wanted to ask if I have to be worried about cancer? I do not feel a mass in my testicle but I feel sensitive and little bigger right epididymis with fluid in scrotum. Where does this fluid comes from? I simply can palpulate the right testicle and separate it from the fluid.

I don't think I have STD because since I tested for all stds I did not have more than couple of massages with a hand job. She was not naked and did not have her fluid in hands.

Also I don't think I has difficulties during wc visits. I remember that I had usual diarrhea wit cramps in this period.

Now I lost some weight and also had 2 couple of nights night sweats, can that be stress related as I am very afraid from this issue?

Please help and give me your opinion.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Follow-up: Pain in scrotum, swelling, pain. Cancer or epididymitis ? 17 minutes later

Until today, i get sometimes the strange little sore feeling in rut groin area. Specially when I sit a lot or if I touch the right scrotum and investigate. This discomfort does not happen when I do it to the left one.

Also have dull ache on down left the rib cage with sometimes difficult getting. XXXXXXX breath, but when I constipate on breath and do relaxing exercises then I can XXXXXXX breath wit no problems. This pain gets better when I use a bandage and band it tightly around me on that area or when I even touch it by hand .
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later

The symptoms you have described seems consistent with features of epididymitis only. I agree with your doctors. "Cancer is unlikely in the absence of a testicular swelling". Inflammatory process can cause fluid collections and the fact that it has reduced with a course of antibiotic which is also suggestive of infection rather than a malignancy.

Having some weight loss in the recent past can be due to multiple causes which needs an individual overall assessment. Anxiety is a common contributing factor.

You can go ahead with your visit to your urologist. Perhaps an ultrasound test and examination of scrotal fluid will clear the diagnosis.

The pain the left ribs is unlikely to be related to the scrotal problem.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Pain in scrotum, swelling, pain. Cancer or epididymitis ? 2 hours later
Thanks doctor,

But what I don't understand, I can not have an STD. Bacterial infection ? How comes? Cold? I had no fever, no burning sensation...

Also I am tested for all STDs since my last possible risk, after that test the only risk was a massage followed by a hand job which is not risk for any STD , the massage lady was not naked, had no own fluid on hands...

What I was doing that period was working in garden and sometimes carrying heavy things...

I am just wondering how I can get this infection...

Aha, when I go to wc I use the same tissue but the clean side to dry my penis. Can thatbe a reason???

Please help
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

The cause of epididymitis is not necessarily an STD.

It can be transmitted through prostate, hot and sweaty environment ,with low fluid intake, etc..

The bacteria usually get to the epididymis by moving back through (retrograde) the urethra, prostate, vas deferens into the epididymis. The normal gut flora can cause the infection in many cases. Avoid using same tissue to clean the tip.

Epididymitis often develops as a result of a bladder or urethral infection that moves to the epididymis. In children, mumps and other viral infections may cause epididymitis. In rare cases, retrograde movement of urine is responsible for chemical epididymitis.

Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you an early recovery.